Analysis

Opinion, explainers and guides from people worth reading.

r/MachineLearning (top, daily)9h ago

I trained a 414k-parameter transformer to fly a boids flock, then tested whether the rules a probe can read are the ones it uses [P]

I wrote a small boid simulator (12 birds), recorded it flying, and trained a transformer to predict each bird's next move without it knowing about any boid rules.

Latent Space1d ago

Why AlphaFold Didn't Solve Protein Folding — Pushmeet Kohli, Google DeepMind & Sal Candido, Biohub

From the Bitter Lesson of AI scaling to the unsolved mysteries of protein folding, Google DeepMind’s Pushmeet Kohli and Biohub’s Sal Candido are rethinking what it takes to build AI that truly understands biology.

r/StableDiffusion (top, day)1d ago

Krea2 Turbo Distill 2 step LoRA - FINAL checkpoint released (chk51195)

Krea 2 Turbo — 2-Step Distillation LoRA (FINAL Version)

Interconnects (Nathan Lambert)2d ago

I expect rapid progress but not towards general superintelligence

I’ve often been surprised when I hear from top researchers in industry that they think AI will be better than them at their job in a few years, and I didn’t really know why I doubted it.

MarkTechPost2d ago

Google Research RRSI Guide: Mastering Self-Improving AI Agents

In this tutorial, we implement RRSI (Regularized Recursive Self-Improvement), a method that lets an LLM agent rewrite its own harness, prompts, tools, memory, control flow, and sub-agents around a frozen model, without the harness overfitting to the tasks it evolves on.

IEEE Spectrum: AI2d ago

Master AI Chip Principles With New IEEE Design Program

Today’s engineers face an unprecedented acceleration in AI hardware complexity, as explained in the recent research article “Revisiting Edge AI: Opportunities and Challenges.” The article examines the rapid growth of edge AI and the challenges it creates, including resource constraints, model architecture limitations, and network demands across edge-AI deployments.

Hacker News: LLM threads (40+ points)4d ago

Show HN: TerrainSR – fast, realistic heightmap upscaling model

I wanted to have a 1:1 scale model of Europe, but my problem was that 100m data was too low-res while 10m LIDAR data was patchy, took hundreds of GBs to store and was full of manmade objects like mines, buildings and so on.

Weights
r/StableDiffusion (top, day)22h ago

Qwen Image 2.1 Turbo - extend 'magic' 8 steps sigmas further

So, I've decided to try Qwen Image 2.1 Turbo with the following 'magic' sigmas, taken directly from their Diffusers implementation: